How to generate a new key pair and send a message
1. InstallationInstall PHP 5.4 or later: http://php.net/manual/en/install.php
For better encryption performance, install the libsodium PHP extension. This step is optional; if the libsodium PHP extension is not available, the SDK will automatically fall back to (slower) pure PHP code for ECC encryption.
To install the libsodium PHP extension:
Then add the following line to your php.ini file:
pecl install libsodium
2. Download the PHP API Tool
3. Unzip the fileOn Mac/Linux, run the following command in a terminal window:
4. Generate a keypair by running the toolOpen a shell (on Windows open the command line) and go to the directory where you have extracted the ZIP.
Create a new private and public key by typing the following command:
A new key pair will be generated. The private key will be saved in privateKey.txt and the public key in publicKey.txt. Both keys are formatted in hexadecimal with a prefix that indicates the key type.
php threema-msgapi-tool.php -g privateKey.txt publicKey.txt
IMPORTANT: Create a backup (or preferrably multiple backups) of your private key! If you lose it, your custom Threema ID will be unusable. We have no way to recover lost private keys for you, and it is also not possible to assign a new key to an existing ID.
5. Request custom Threema ID and submit keyLog in to your profile on the Threema Gateway website, click on "ID" in the navigation bar and then "Request Threema ID".
Choose End-to-End mode, enter the desired ID, and copy & paste the public key from the publicKey.txt file.
6. Wait for review
Wait until your custom Threema ID has been reviewed and accepted. As this is a manual process, it may take several days.
When your ID has been accepted, you will receive an API secret for authentication with the service.
7. Send a message
For the example below, let's say you want to send a message to the ID ECHOECHO*. Your custom ID is *MYAPIID and the API secret is df4oUM7eYei3kEAV.Encrypt and send your message by typing the following command:
Your private key will be read from the file that you generated earlier on.
echo "This is my message." | php threema-msgapi-tool.php -S ECHOECHO "*MYAPIID" df4oUM7eYei3kEAV privateKey.txt
* Please note: the ECHOECHO ID does not return messages from API IDs, so you will not get anything back.